birding-aus

Birding without bins

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Birding without bins
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:35:44 +1000
Hi all
last Sunday, I went for a walk with my family along the Sphinx Track in Ku-rin-gai National Park (northern Sydney). The track runs from the Bobbin Head Road gate, following a creek line and comes out at Warrimoo Creek, when one can then follow that creek to Bobbin Head. Due to an administrative oversight (ie forgetting to pick up my bins after repacking my daypack), I was without optical aids for the walk, which made it an interesting birding experience. I obviously had to use my ears lots more than usual, picking out different calls, listening for rustles in the undergrowth etc and then seeing how close I could get to the bird to get a view. Some were ID'd on call alone, noted as V in the list below. Of course, in some cases the birds came to me, like the Superb Lyrebird scratching about just off the track and the Common Bronzewing the flushed as I walked past it. Thinking on it, doing a walk like this every so often is probably a good exercise for keeping one's ears "in practice" Nonetheless, it was a pretty successful walk, with the following species heard or seen in the wet forest area.
Cheers
Tom Wilson:

Wonga Pigeon-V        Common Bronzewing        Sulphur Crested Cockatoo
Rainbow Lorikeet        King Parrot                        Crimson Rosella
Eastern Rosella            Kookaburra                    Superb Lyrebird
White Throated Treecreeper                                Variegated Wren
Spotted Pardalote-V    Striated Pardalote            White Browed Scrubwren
Brown Gerygone-V      Brown Thornbill            Striated Thornbill
Little Wattlebird           Red Wattlebird                Noisy Miner
Lewins HE-V              Yellow Faced HE            Yellow Tufted HE
White Naped HE        N Holland HE                White Cheeked HE
E Spinebill Scarlet HE E Yellow Robin
E Whipbird-V             Crested Shrike Tit            Golden Whistler-V
Rufous Whistler           Grey Shrike Thrush-V        Grey Fantail
Grey Butcherbird-V    Pied Currawong                Aust Raven
Red Browed Finch Silvereye ===============================