birding-aus

Coincidental sighting Eastern Rosella

To: "Birding - Aus" <>
Subject: Coincidental sighting Eastern Rosella
From: "Bryan Groom" <>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 09:57:15 +0200
Greetings,
As a South African subscriber to this forum, thought I would share a what I
call a coincidental sighting of an Eastern Rosella in my garden.
My daughter and two grand children from Narrabri NSW, have just spent 10
days with us here, and departed last Wednesday for home. They gave me a gift
of a Pizzey & Knight Field Guide, which I was able to put to good use in
IDing this obvious escapee's visit to our garden. I heard the unrecognised
call amongst those of our local Myna ( Acridotheres tristis), Grey
Go-away-bird (Corythaixoides concolor) and Dark-capped Bulbul (Pycnonotus
tricolor) and Crested Barbet (Trachyphonus vaillantii) , and went outdoors
to find the Rosella in amongst the other agitated birds in the White
Stinkwood (Celtis Africanus) trees, eating the seeds. The locals seemed very
intrigued at this stranger raiding their food larder.
Unfortunately does not qualify as a tick on my world list. Was however able
to get some pics for the record.
I must say, the field guide has also given new interest to me in that I am
able to now look up birds discussed on this forum, as well as see the birds
that my family are recording on their farm Oakdale in Narrabri.

Regards,
Bryan

Bryan Groom

Edenvale, Gauteng,