birding-aus

Dusky Woodswallows and other seasonal happenings

Subject: Dusky Woodswallows and other seasonal happenings
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 18:34:12 +1000
Hi Birders,

I've been noticing particularly high numbers of Dusky Woodswallows on the move, with many seen in the Capertee Valley yesterday and on Kings Tableland (Blue Mountains, NSW) last weekend.

Also seen during yesterday's visit to the Capertee Valley: Spotted Quail-thrush have turned up at the bottom of the scree slope near my dam for the first time since 2004. One was performing its territorial song, as well as the high-pitched contact note. I hope they hang around for the winter as they did in 2004. Other winter visitors just arrived in my patch of the valley are Golden Whistler and Eastern Spinebill, and a female Red-capped Robin was down in the front paddock (usually a winter visitor there but this bird has been around for the past few months).

All the local finches, including Plum-heads, are relatively easy to find at the moment, as are Southern Whitefaces. On the other hand, there is a marked absence of honeyeaters throughout the valley - even the Fuscous and Yellow-tufted seem to have deserted most of their usual haunts.

The grass is tall and the rank weedy growth in some places near the river has reached more than 2 metres high. Most of the dams contain water but the river is still dry, apart from a few pools. More rain is still needed.

Up here in the Blue Mountains, the Yellow-faced Honeyeaters are migrating through Katoomba in reasonable numbers and this morning there was a single Fuscous amongst them. So far, not many White-naped in the flocks.

Three Scarlet Robins at Mount York the other day were a visual treat for me and my visitors.

cheers,

Carol

--
Carol Probets