birding-aus

Red-backed Kingfisher in SE Qld

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Red-backed Kingfisher in SE Qld
From: "Tom Tarrant" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 12:04:10 +1000
Last years female Red-backed Kingfisher has returned to the same location at
Lyndhurst Rd, Dayboro. Does this mean that the species is a scarce migrant
and not vagrant to South-East Queensland?

Yesterday I was made very aware by one of the land-owners that he was not
tolerant of birdos, reminding me of the 'bad-behaviour' of some visitors
last year. Apparently they asked to go on his land, he refused but they
still insisted on looking (and photographing) at the bird over the fence in
his paddock. He expressed concern that any future birdos presence would
cause his 'prize' cattle to miscarry, and made it clear that the birds
safety wasn't guaranteed.

Although I could understand his ire, I thought that it was a bit exaggerated
but would therefore ask prospective visitors to try and steer clear of the
property which borders Lyndhurst and Wattlebrae Road, where the bird seems
to frequent much of the time, and it also seems to be very nervous now (I'll
leave that one to you to surmise.)

On a lighter-note I've manaded to upgrade the image-galleries on our website
(much pain!) (see http://www.aviceda.org/gallery2) You can now
register,leave comments and other exciting stuff. Have a look and let us
know what you think.

Tom

--
Tom & Marie Tarrant