birding-aus

Sunday in Bangkok

Subject: Sunday in Bangkok
From: <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 20:44:21 +1000
Hi all,

Arriving early for a business trip that also took in Malaysia (see next email)
I had a day of birding near Bangkok.

I had arranged with a local guide, Mr Utree, to take me looking for a
Spoon-billed Sandpiper. We headed out at about 7:00 am for the Laem Pak Bia
saltfields; which look very much like the Cheetham Saltworks southwest of
Melbourne (for those of you who know them) except that they go on for many many
kilometres on both sides of the road.

The day was stunning as we found a Spoon-billed Sandpiper and then went on to
the local sewerage farm. Common wading birds were the Long-toed Stint and
Kentish Plover and it was fun to think that, while I was watching Javan Pond
Herons in Thailand, it was the same day that friends were watching one in
Darwin.

But we did get onto a local twitch that Mr Utree heard of while we were at the
sewerage farm. A detour down side tracks and along rutted salt pond dividers
took us to a pond where the local birdos were watching a flock of about 25 Pied
Avocet. They are a vagrant to the area but never before seen in such a large
flock.

Total sightings for the day was 83 including highlights, other than above, that
included Pheasant-tailed and Bronze-winged Jacana, Eastern Marsh Harrier,
Racket-tailed Treepee and Asian Golden Weaver, Oriental and Black-browed Reed
Warblers, Zitting Cisticola and Asian Yellow Bittern.

Cheers

Jen