birding-aus

Golden Whistler call

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Golden Whistler call
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 16:30:31 +1000
I have just heard a female plumaged Golden Whistler in our backyard at Coutts
Crossing, North Coast New South Wales, uttering a strange sound.  This is about
the third year that I have heard it and as the bird was banded and Golden
Whistlers have just returned to our area, I suspect that it is the same bird.

The call is somewhat like the tinkling chatter of the Buff-rumped Thornbill but
at close range it is slightly different.  Each note was preceded by another,
almost inaudible,  sharp plaintive note.

Has anyone heard this type of call from a Golden Whistler?  HANZAB has nothing
like it although the 'rather mechanical t-t-t.... from a first year bird may be
describing the same call.

Greg Clancy