birding-aus

RFI: Rufous Scrub-birds at Gloucester Tops

To: <>
Subject: RFI: Rufous Scrub-birds at Gloucester Tops
From: "Carl Corden" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:48:45 +1000
Hi All,

I managed to get to Gloucester Tops to look for the Rufous Scrub-birds and
Olive Whistlers over Easter.  Unfortunately I found the information regarding
their location to be a little confusing.

Many previous reports indicate that Rufous Scrub-birds have been seen
approximately 1km along Kerripit Road.  After driving along this road for about
1km (from where it exits Gloucester Tops Road) I didn't come across any
suitable-looking habitat.  However, there is a gate across the road a few
hundred metres further on, and access further along the track from here is by
foot only.

After a few hundred more metres the track finally reaches an area of Antarctic
Beech forest where there is some interpretive information about Barrington Tops
National Park.  My impression (from examining topo maps of the area) is that
the Rufous Scrub-bird "site" is approximately 1km walk further west from this
area.  Is this correct?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to visit the area
again later in the year.

Regards,

Carl Corden