birding-aus

Trip Report - NSW Shoalhaven Area

To: birding australia <>
Subject: Trip Report - NSW Shoalhaven Area
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 16:49:40 +1000 (EST)
Everyone,

Just returned from a great weekend in Canberra with
some fabulous birding being done on the trip down.
Arrived at Barren Grounds early Friday morning with
the rain pelting down (this must be the wettest place
in NSW!) As a trudged along the service road (fire
trail?) several Eastern Bristlebirds hopped along in
front of me, one within 2 metres.
Then came the highlight of the day when a GROUND
PARROT flushed from beside the track. I managed to
flush the bird again getting tickable but not great
views.
Thinking my visit couldn't get any better a quick stop
at the old wardens quarters revealed a Pilotbird. I
last saw this species in 1995? 96?
Feeling very pleased with my tick I wanted another so
headed towards Wollongong in search of my bogey bird,
the Kelp Gull.
Following some good oil I stopped at Windang and saw
some great birds. 7 Bar-tailed Godwit feeding on open
lawn between the road and walking path with people and
dogs only metres away, Great and Little Egret, 2 Pied
Oystercatcher and 3 KELP GULL.
Making my way south in bumper to bumper traffic not
much was seen until a flock of 40-50 Topknot Pigeons
wheeled over the hwy at Berry.
First dip of the day came at Bomaderry were I failed
to see Rock Warbler. Is it possible to have a bogey
bird that you've already seen?
My last target for the day was Hooded Plover and I
found 2 huddling behind washed up timber at Berrara.
Other good birds seen during the drive
included....Sooty Oystercatcher, Aust. Gannet,
White-bellied Sea-eagle, Caspian Tern, White-headed
Pigeon, Southern Emu-wren and Variegated Fairy-wren.

Huge thanks to the following birdos for their valuable
info...Tun Pin Ong, Dave, Brett, Chris, Marnix and
Steve.

Grant Brosie
Raworth