birding-aus

Drinking habits of WTNS

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Drinking habits of WTNS
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 21:19:54 +1000
Hello Mike,

Some years ago I was dozing (fishing) from a small dinghy in the middle of
Narrabeen Lakes (abt 25kms N. of Sydney CBD) on a still, sunny day in December
, when I found that I was suddenly surrounded by Swifts. They were swooping
down in  great arcs and skimming across the placid surface of the lake. The
birds were all about me, some, only a couple of metres away. They were no
longer mere dots in the sky but large birds with wingspans of about 15 or 20
inches. As they travelled over the water the beaks were opened and they
appeared to be scooping up the water, then zooming almost vertically, leaving
neat "vee's" over the mirrow surface.Apart from the close approach, I was
impressed by the fact that it was salt water. There were fifty or sixty birds
in the flock and I am curious to know whether drinking saltwater is a normal
action of WTNS.

Reg Clark
Belrose , NSW.