birding-aus

Keeping Lists

To: BIRDING-AUS <>
Subject: Keeping Lists
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 20:54:04 +1000
Good Evening Birders,

I keep a few different lists, not actually written, but more a memory
of what I have and haven't seen. Life list, Blue Mountains, Area (as
defined by any birds seen while on a walk that starts and finishes at
home) and so on. The last few weeks have seen some good additions to a
few of them, some of them non-birdy, but I'm sure you'll cope.

The first was the most exciting by far; 4 new birds while looking for
the Wandering Tattler. Also added that day were Ruddy Turnstone,
Red-Necked Stint and Double-Banded Dotterel. We celebrated with a
Winston Churchill cigar and some fine scotch. A good day indeed.

Later that week my wife added Green Tree Snake to the house list,
which was quite unexpected. Last friday I added Sugar Glider to my
list of animals seen from the couch while watching TV, crawling down
the brickwork next to the window. This was also an addition to the
life list. It's even sweeter when they go onto 2 different lists. The
minutes ago I finally saw a Ring-Tail Possum on our property. I knew
they were here (I've heard the female Satin Bower imitating them) but
had never seen one. Again, this was also a first for my Blueys list.

This week at work has been remarkable as well. I was surprised to add
Pied Currawong as the first (and I presumed only) bird on my birds
seen inside the factory list. My desk is in the middle of the factory
floor of a large sheetmetal shop, which is VERY noisy at times. This
didn't seem to worry the PiCu, which hung around for a few days and
added a few spiders to it's list of animals eaten inside buildings. I
thought my factory list would stay at 1 for quite a while, and then,
surprise, surprise a Spotted Turtle Dove accidentally found it's way
inside. The currawong left after a few days of it's own accord. I
doubt the TurtleDove will be so lucky.

--
Evan Beaver
Lapstone, Blue Mountains, NSW