birding-aus

Cranes & other Atherton Tablelands Sightings

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Cranes & other Atherton Tablelands Sightings
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:00:32 +1000
Greetings,

The Sarus Cranes are back! I have not been posting much lately because I've been flat out. It is amazing how two part time jobs and a little volunteering can fill every spare minute.

This morning saw all the local Dicruridae (Monarch Flycatchers and friends) except White eared Monarch and Rufous Fantail and I and I've seen them both in the last week. All the local Cuckoo Shrikes were also seen before nine o'clock.

Below I've extracted the sightings sent to www.cairnsbirds.blogspot.com at the time of posting. This is a good site to check out for those heading to the north of this state.

SARUS CRANE (10) 31/03/07 Yungaburra. Birds circled and flew to the west. All adult as far as could be told. This is particularly early compared to recent years and about two weeks earlier than the Brolgas used to return in the late seventies.

SWINHOE'S SNIPE (1, possibly 2) 26/03/07 Tarzali Lakes Fish Farm. This is the first time Alan has had a positive ID on this species on the Tablelands ( clear view of the upper tail coverts). It is also a bit late in the season for what has previously been suggested for their habits.

SNIPE sp (6+) 30/03/07 Tinaburra Peninsula south west of boat ramp.

SNIPE sp (6+) 30/03/07 Tinaburra Peninsula south west of boat ramp.

PACIFIC BAZA (3) 30/03/07 Yungaburra Village
Two adults and a fledgling often seen along Peterson Creek.

BLUE-FACED PARROT-FINCH (2) 31/03/07 Gadgarra SF

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road