birding-aus

Re: Leech socks

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Re: Leech socks
From: "Alec Gillespie" <>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 21:11:51 +1000
I tried to find leech socks before going to Khao Yai National Park in
Thailand where leeches are a problem in the wet season.  I found a web site
in America www.mosquitohammock.com (found by typing in 'leech socks' into
Google) where we could have bought some for US$25 a pair (plus postage).
Time constraints, let alone cost + postage, prevented us pursuing this
option. I could not find any in the wide range of outdoor clothing/equipment
shops in Sydney, no-one had heard of them.  Gaiters were suggested as an
alternative.

When we got to Khao Yai, we bought leech socks for about AU$4 at one of the
NP visitor centre shops.  They comprise a pair of large, long, calico,
fairly shapeless, over-socks which you put on over your socks and trouser
legs and tie with a draw string under the knee.  Then you put your boots on
top of the leech sock.  We wore them, but as it was bone dry at the end of
January, we had no opportunity (thank goodness) to put them to the test with
leeches.  They do help keep your trousers bottoms and socks clean though
which is handy when travelling!

I suspect the off-white colour helps you spot marauding leeches before they
progess too far, and it is another layer of thick cloth for them to
penetrate before they reach skin.   I can't see how the socks would stop
them getting into your boots.  The American socks look to come higher up on
the leg to tie not only below the knee but also around the thigh, and are no
doubt more effective but also more cumbersome and warmer to wear in the
Tropics.  Apparently soaking the socks in a tobacco solution is a known
repellant in Thailand.  We sprayed ours with normal personal insect
repellent, in the absence of any tobacco or time to soak them.

Catherine and Alec Gillespie

--
4:36 PM