birding-aus

Darwin (no) Pond Heron Update

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Darwin (no) Pond Heron Update
From: "Crispin Marsh" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 12:28:19 +1100
Dear Birders,
There seemed to be lots of hopeful interstate birders wandering around Darwin
over the last 2 days including me. As far as I know we were all unsuccessful in
locating the Javan Pond Heron. It seems to have been last seen in the ditch off
Trower Road on Sunday afternoon.

One problem with relocating the bird is that after quite a lot of rain in the
past few days there are thousands of places that the bird could have gone -
even if it had not either gone home or suffered some catastrophe.

The trip was not without compensations however. I managed to get close but
brief views of the Chestnut Rail at Buffalo Creek. Most commentators suggest
that one will find this bird on the far bank of the creek across from the boat
ramp. I was there on a midday falling tide with no-one else about. I went a
short way upstream from the boat ramp and sat scanning the opposite bank. A
clapping noise caused me to look back into the mangroves on my side of the
creek and there was a Chestnut Rail a couple of meters away clapping its bill
together but not uttering a call. Later in the day Darreyl Binns (AKA Biggles)
was kind enough to show me around Howard Springs and show me the Rainbow Pitta
close to the spring for which I am very grateful.

Obviously in such a "birdy" environment as Darwin a host of other birds were
seen including a Square-tailed Kite while watching for the Pond Heron at the
drain.

Regards
Peter Marsh