birding-aus

Grey Goshawk - Altona, Vic

To: "Birding-aus \(E-mail\)" <>
Subject: Grey Goshawk - Altona, Vic
From: "Peter Shute" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:19:37 +1100
I saw a raptor briefly over the pond in the Mt St Joseph wetland on
Saturday.  I saw it side on just over the trees, and at first I thought
it was a Black-shouldered Kite, but I briefly got a look above and
underneath as it turned, and there were no black markings.

It was too brief a look for me to get any details like tail shape, etc.
I wrote in my notes that it was pure white above, and grey below.

The only bird I can find in the guides anything like that is a white
morph Grey Goshawk, but that shouldn't be grey below.  Any opinions?
Did I just get the details reversed, or could it be something else?  It
was late in the day, so the grey could simply have been shadow.

Peter Shute