birding-aus

Kris Tindige Update Bulletin

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Kris Tindige Update Bulletin
From: "Tom Tarrant" <>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:10:57 +1000
Sheryl Keates has asked me to post her update on Kris Tindige,  I recently
spoke to Kris on the 'phone and although feeling rather poorly with the
chemotherapy he was still interested in seeing Sooty Owl (in the Greater
Brisbane area)  If any Brisbane birdos can take Kris and Shita out and show
them owls (or anything else interesting......remember Kris is unable to walk
far) I would appreciate your assistance.
If you contact me I will pass on their contact details.

Tom

KRIS TINDIGE UPDATE BULLETIN - NUMBER 12.  March 13, 2007.

Hello friends everywhere,

Nine months have passed by since our last update.  While in remission, Kris
was able to lead tours of his beloved West Papua with the able help of his
partner Shita. Kris remains passionate as always about the birds as well as
the environmental and social issues affecting West Papua.

Around mid 2006 Kris was experiencing 'waist pain'.  He was not sure if this
was from a motor bike accident or a new pain indicating that the cancer had
returned.  Kris struggled in pain to fulfill his commitments to guide bird
tours as this was his only source of income.

It was decided that Kris should return to Brisbane for a medical
check.  Applications
were made for visas for Kris and Shita.  Kris went to Jakarta to have scans
which indicated conflicting results.

Kris and Shita arrived in Brisbane on January 1, 2007 and Kris had an
appointment with his former doctor the following day.  Unfortunately the
news was what we had feared.  The cancer had spread to Kris's bones and not
treatable.  To relieve the pain, Kris was given radiotherapy and medication.
Understandably Kris was reluctant to have chemotherapy as it would be a long
term treatment with unpleasant side effects.  However, Kris now has taken
the advice from his doctor and decided to have 2 cycles of chemotherapy
starting on March 9.

Kris and Shita have been staying with my friend Sue Akeroyd and family in
Brisbane since their arrival at the beginning of January.  They may be there
for at least 6 weeks during Kris's treatment.  We cannot thank Sue and her
family enough for their hospitality and compassion throughout this ordeal.

While in Brisbane, Kris has given a Powerpoint presentation to members of
Birds Qld on the Conservation of Papuan birds and eco-tourism. Donations of
used binoculars have been received from a number of birdwatchers.  The
binoculars will be taken back to West Papua to be used by students in
Manokwari who undertake the Bird Conservation Awareness program which was
developed by Kris.  It is hoped that Western medicine and their strong faith
will help fight the battle for Kris, with Shita by his side and they can
return to West Papua to carry on their work.

Kris started his first chemotherapy as well as radiation last Friday and I
am delighted to report that Sue said everything went well.  After a good
nights sleep, Kris did not need to take paracetamol as he usually does for
the pain the following morning, so fingers crossed.

The doctors are going out of their way to keep expenses in a minimum but we
will require additional funds for Kris's treatment as well as medications
and living expenses.  We ask once again, for you to reach into your pockets
to find additional funds for Kris and Shita.  Your generosity at this time
will be very much appreciated.

Sue Akeroyd opened an account for Kris before his arrival in Australia and
Dr Rob McKay, who is now in PNG, transferred the remaining funds from our
past fundraising efforts to the account.  Please make cheques, money orders
or bank drafts payable to Sue Akeroyd and post to me, Sheryl Keates, PO Box
958, NIGHTCLIFF NT. 0814 AUSTRALIA.  I am keeping tack of donations and
expenses.

Direct transfers can be made as follows:

BANKDATA REQUIRED FOR ON-LINE TRANSFER.
Name of account:  Sue Akeroyd
Bank:   National Australia Bank (NAB)
Branch: Stones Corner Qld. Australia
BSB Number: 084 391
Account Number: 864976166
IBAN number : 084 391 864 976 166

The generosity and caring nature of all those involved has been outstanding.
Without this support and benevolence, there can be little doubt that this
battle would have been long lost, and that Papua would have lost one of its
only champions. Our sincere thanks go to all those who donated medical
expertise, money, time, compassion and friendship.

Sheryl Keates / collector Australia

PO Box 958

NIGHTCLIFF NT 0814

AUSTRALIA

Also on behalf of

Richard Noske

(Senior Lecturer Biology)

and Linda Isorena / Collectors Australia

Charles Darwin University

DARWIN NT 0909

AUSTRALIA

--