birding-aus

Sabines Gull

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Sabines Gull
From: "Kurtis Lindsay" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:59:36 +1100
A reminder to Birders searching for the Sabines Gull (North NSW coast), that
from a distance a Gull-billed Tern can look like one of the Black-headed Gull
species. This is the case regardless adult or juvenile or if in breeding or
non-breeding plumage.

In Breeding plumage the Tern has a notched tail, apparent dark primaries, short
black bill and a black cap which extends down the nape and over the eyes to the
base of the bill.
In non-breeding plumage the Tern has all the above except the black only
extends behind the eye, and is not present at the base of the bill.

I am not trying to doubt or rule out the possibility of a rarity, I am just
reminding people that confusion between these species is possible.

Regards,

Kurtis Lindsay