birding-aus

Silent migratories

To: "Margaret Cameron" <>, "Colin Driscoll" <>, "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Silent migratories
From: "Greg" <>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 08:31:27 +1100
Hi Margaret,

I like to record the departure dates for the local migrants such as the cuckoos, Dollarbirds, Sacred Kingfishers etc. as it is interesting and important information in light of global warming. I have had more overwintering (or late departure and early returning) Rufous Fantails in the Clarence Valley, North Coast New South Wales, in recent years. Is this a response to global warming?

There is one complication that I only considered recently. Departure dates are not necessarily departure dates for the local population but may reflect the last date that birds from further south move through a particular area. Local birds may have migrated weeks earlier.

Greg Clancy