birding-aus

New Species of Snake

To: Chris Coleborn <>, Birding Australia <>
Subject: New Species of Snake
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 07:07:40 +0930
And on this thread - several years ago my daughter, Amber, was named
Ngalinawa by her tribal grandmother.  Meaning "rock snake, big one", the
snake, so several female relatives assured me, was as long as the distance
between "two telegraph poles".

I thought they meant Oenpelli Python, but no, they assured me, this was a
different snake. They told me it lives on grandmother's country in central
Arnhem Land.

Others have heard the same story - some years ago Paul Horner, curator of
reptiles at the NT Museum asked me about it.

Amber, by the way, was given this name to protect her from unscrupulous men
- my relatives told me all Kunwinjku men are terrified of this snake and
treat it "with great respect".

The men wouldn't be the only ones.  I always hoped to go looking for it, but
not alone.  How small the risk, I do not want to chance being eaten tent and
all in the middle of the night!

Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
1/7 Songlark Street
BAKEWELL NT 0832