birding-aus

You Yangs report (Melbourne, Vict.)

Subject: You Yangs report (Melbourne, Vict.)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 14:50:54 +1100
A brief report from the most recent Birds Australia boneseeding trip run
by Merrilyn Serrong last Saturday 3 March 2007 to You Yangs Regional Park.

There were a few other birdos about on the day and I think I missed
speaking to Richard Novotny...a list member.

The park is south west of Melbourne on the road to Geelong and is very dry
at the moment, however recent rainfall had managed to put some freshwater
into a few of the little ponds in certain gullies.  These were magnets for
woodland birds as we discovered, especially the honeyeaters, finches,
woodswallows and pardalotes.

Some highlights for our day were
- two Tawny Frogmouths above the entrance carpark
- a Diamond Firetail drinking at a pond near the entrance carpark along
with Dusky Woodswallows, honeyeaters etc
- a pair of Scarlet Robins foraging near the Gravel Pit Tor carpark, in
loose association with some thornbills and fairy-wrens
- a good-sized flock (at least 20 birds) of Rainbow Bee-eaters foraging
above the Birds Australia boneseed site in the se corner of the park
- a single Owlet-nightjar flushed from its daytime roost in the boneseed
site
- regular sightings of Purple-crowned and Musk Lorikeets throughout the
park
- a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles and Whistling Kite

The nightjar was the first we had recorded on our trips here.  For the
first time in numerous trips we did not see any feral goats in the Gravel
Pit Tor area.

All sightings for the day have been atlassed and forwarded to my
colleagues in the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife.

Birds Australia members are welcome to join us on these outings which are
usually held every 3 months or so, on a Saturday.

cheers, Martin

Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Biologist - Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St. (PO Box 500),
East Melbourne  3002
VICTORIA

( 9637 9869