birding-aus

fig trees/parrots

To: michael hunter <>, Helen Horton <>
Subject: fig trees/parrots
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 14:42:32 +1100 (EST)
Hi Michael,

  Not sure if you have seen this recovery plan (knowing you, you would have).
Worth a read if you have not (copy and paste entire URL):

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/threatened/publications/recovery/fig-parrot/pubs/fig-parrot.pdf

  There is a good section on Foods:
  "Favoured species are the Moreton Bay fig Ficus macrophylla and green-leaved
strangler fig F. watkinsiana, but other species also eaten include rusty fig F.
rubiginosa, white fig F. virens, small-leaved fig F. obliqua, cluster fig F.
racemosa, the sandpaper figs F. coronata, F. opposita and F. fraseri and
deciduous fig F. superba (Holmes 1990, Gynther et al. 1998, I. Gynther pers.
comm.)".

I can't specifically recall seeing any (althouigh I wasn't looking) on my
several trips to Nightcap National Park (in Big Scrub remnants). Sure they'd be
some there though.

  Cheers,
  Charles
michael hunter <> wrote:
  Thanks Helen.
I don't suppose that you know of any sites for F.racemosa do you?
The parrots would feed on any ripe figs, not just cauliflorous ones, but if
feeding on tree trunks they might be easier to see than in the canopy.
It might be a question of overlapping fruiting times that determines their
rarity, if all the lowland figs fruiting at a particular time of year have been
cleared for agriculture, and figs elsewhere don't fruit at that time, the
fig-parrots are in trouble.
Cheers
Michael