birding-aus

RFI identifying thornbills (se Australia)

To: <>, <>
Subject: RFI identifying thornbills (se Australia)
From: "Mules, Michael" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:11:59 +1100
 Hi Martin,  my quick 'n' dirty guide to Brown v. Striated Thornbill is:
If it's round, it's brown, if it's sharp, it's striated.  Mostly because
on a first impression, the striations on the head of the ST give it a
"pointy", narrower look; and the BT looks as though it has a more boofy
head.  I'd also agree with Steve on Browns being mostly in lower storey
growth (although I sometimes see them well up into the canopy), and ST
being more of an upper storey dweller.

Regards,
Michael Mules

Carey Baptist Grammar School
Kew Campus
349 Barkers Road Kew Victoria Australia 3101

www.carey.com.au