birding-aus

Bonna Point, Kurnell, Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Bonna Point, Kurnell, Sydney
From: "Troy Mutton" <>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 21:47:35 +1100
Hi all,

Was out at Bonna Point, Kurnell, very briefly this afternoon after I visited my
sister in hospital at Caringbah who has just had a baby girl, and on the south
side with the mangroves saw at least 25 Eastern Curlew, 2 birds approx the size
of sharpies but with bright yellow legs - first thought was Grey-tailed
Tattlers, but they didn't seem as big as other tattlers I've seen... didn't
immediately scream out Pectorals, and yeah - I didn't have the time or
equipment to check them out further but will be back tomorrow to try and work
out what they are.

The highlight of the trip to Kurnell was a Mangrove Heron running from the
mangroves to the water. Got "great" views of it with the dodgy bins that live
in the car, but it had disappeared by the time I got the camera out and ready.
I've not seen one there before, although the habitat is clearly suitable.

And to the person (Frank? Fred?) who wanted to know about Sharpie flocks in NSW
- I searched the archive but couldn't find your details or the message - there
were 4 at Riverine Park Wetlands, Banksia yesterday afternoon (2/3/7) and 5 at
Mason Park, Homebush in the morning on the 21/2/7. And anyone else who is
interested - the avocets have left the main pond at Bicentennial park but there
was hardly any water left, despite the tidal gate seeming to be finished.

Cheers
Troy