birding-aus

"Native Australian budgerigars are blue in colour"

To: Carl Clifford <>, Michael Tarburton <>
Subject: "Native Australian budgerigars are blue in colour"
From: Geoff Price <>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:46:07 -0800
Hi everyone

As an editor with an educational publishing company that publish many books, both for teachers and students of all ages (but predominantly primary years), I must say there is a concern over what our kids are being taught, and also the prevalence of American content. One of our main aims is to "version" out all Americanisms, both verbal and pictorial; and to be as accurate as possible in content. We get a large number of already-published books on licence from the US, and in many cases we have freedom to alter the content to be more Australian-inclusive. As I come from a birds/editing background (Assistant Editor of HANZAB for over a decade), I am given many of the books involving natural history! With, in many cases, freedom to check facts and re-write. I have recently written small, informative chapters for primary kids on bowerbirds, on the pros and cons of feeding birds (ALL American books love feeding birds), honeyeaters, birds of Lake Eyre, reptiles (e.g. alligators changed to crocodiles, rattlesnakes to Tiger Snakes, etc.), and more. We put out many different types of books, but in the natural history field we have published small but informative books on rainforests and global warming, ecosystems and habitat degradation, animals, plants, geography, and so on. Nothing massive, but it's getting the right stuff out there. My point is not to advertise my anonymous company, but to say that in some cases there is a change in attitude, and teachers are responding positively. The feedback we get inspires us to do more, which I must say includes going over books we have already done and improving them, and doing our best to ensure our school books are relevant, accurate, and Australian.

Cheers
Geoff
PS As an editor I take no responsibility for any punctuation, content or grammatical errors in the above posting. They are typos.