birding-aus

RE: Fw: [Birding-Aus] Number of Birders in Australia

Subject: RE: Fw: [Birding-Aus] Number of Birders in Australia
From: "jade welch" <>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 13:40:31 +1000
Hi All,

I have found this topic to date to be quite interesting. As a birder I own a number of bird books including guides, a HANZAB or two etc etc. If there is a bird book on its way to the shelves of my local book store chances are I'll purchase it even though it may not be the most comprehensive of bird books or just an upgrade from an old field guide. Whilst this passion for collecting bird books and watching birds is not shared by the community as a whole I'm sure you'd find if surveyed that many people have some interest in birds although it is often only slight which would explain the Field Guide from the 1990's on their book shelve.

Young children as a whole show more interest in wildlife particularly birds then adults do. Why is this? Is it because adults work too much? Are too comfortable watching TV? No longer have an affinity with the great outdoors? Have lost the eagerness to learn that their children posses or feel they need to spend time with the kids improving their sporting skills? Whatever the reason/s we must put into action a plan to keep the minds of our young people working overtime so that they and future generations will love birds and other animals as much as we do.

At present i am working on this by looking at producing posters (and sample packs) for my local primary schools of the birds and animals of our area. By discussing with the children what makes birds wonderful and interesting and by taking them for a walk around the school where birds particularly some of the more common species are on display i hope to get more young people interested in birding and conserving species. If only one child out of 30 becomes a birder then so be it.

Yours Sincerely
Mr Jade Welch
Gold Coast,
Queensland

Advertisement: Getting married? Tell us why to WIN @ LetsShop http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eletsshop%2Ecom%2FCompetitions%2FLetsMarry%2Ftabid%2F549%2FDefault%2Easpx&_t=751480117&_r=HM_tagline_letsshop_wedding&_m=EXT