birding-aus

Corvidae & Artamidae

To: birding-aus aus <>
Subject: Corvidae & Artamidae
From: Scot Mcphee <>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 11:20:51 +1000

Can I ask a question?

Why are the Artamidae not regarded as Corvidae and yet Northern Hemisphere birds such as Jays, Jackdaws, European Magpies and the like are? If any one saw a line up from Australian Raven, Little Crow, Pied Currawong, Australian Magpie, Pied Butcherbird, Grey Butcherbird the relationship is easily determined to the eye. I understand DNA evidence may suggest otherwise but doesn't Sibley and Alhquist say they are related?

Are European Magpies really more closely related to crows than the Currawong? This has always seems preposterous me, just another hangover of hopelessly Euro-centric thinking in 18th century naturalists.

--
Autonomous Organisation
http://www.autonomous.org/