birding-aus

St. Helena's Common Mynas

To: Penny Brockman <>
Subject: St. Helena's Common Mynas
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:58:48 +1100
Penny.

Great pelagics on the way to and from though, I would imagine. Poor St Helenians though, first Napoleon then Mynahs.
Cheers,
Carl Cliford

On 14/02/2007, at 3:30 PM, Penny Brockman wrote:

Dear all

Received a copy of the UK magazine Waterlife (Wildlife and Wetlands Trust) and in thumbing through the pages my eye was caught by a photo of a blooming myna's head thrusting agressively from the side of the photo, dominating the ship RMS St. Helena, in an advertisement for a 17 day trip from S.Africa to St. Helena in the S.Atlantic.

Does anyone know if Common Mynas are endemic or resident in St. Helena? Even if they are, not the sort of bird that would encourage me to take the trip!