birding-aus

Fw: [Birding-Aus] Bird things at Qld Modern Art Gallery

To: <>
Subject: Fw: [Birding-Aus] Bird things at Qld Modern Art Gallery
From: "michael hunter" <>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:03:37 +1100

    We visited the Aboriginal artists centre at Lockhart River (Cape York) a
 few years ago. They had a large library of Art books of every description,
 most of them well-thumbed, being used as inspiration for paintings and
 sculptures. We bought a small cast sculpture of what looked like a free
 interpretation of the famous Mayan"Chacmool" altars in Central America. I
 checked and found the book and picture it had been copied from in the
 library. There were other paintings and sculptures clearly influenced by
 foreign schools, so that it is not surprising that non-indiginous themes
 will show up in Australian Aboriginal art.
     We had had a few hours in the Lockhart River settlement waiting for the
 plane to Cairns after one of Klaus' fabulous Cape York trips, when we saw
 everything possible including RED GOSHAWK, SPOTTED WHISTLING-DUCK and,
after
 a long stake-out, FAWN-BREASTED BOWERBIRD at a site next to the Jardine
 River. To our astonishment, at Lockhart River, three or four Fawn-breasted
 Bowerbirds were performing in and around a small tree just outside the Art
 Centre, completely unconcerned by our presence a few metres away.
                                          Cheers
                                                        Michael