birding-aus

Re: RFI: Australian Photographic Index -birds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: RFI: Australian Photographic Index -birds
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 15:50:47 +1000
Marlene Lyell asked:
" Would anyone know if there is a site where I might be able to obtain a
complete list of erratum for the National Photographic Index (birds) series
of books please.

I know from time to time different errors have been discussed on b-a."

I can't help with a website, Marlene, but although I treasure my set of NPI books, I have to tell you that it would be a very large and comprehensive website which purported to provide the corrections to all of the errors, omissions and out-dated information in that set. The set took over 14 years to complete. During that time a number of classifications underwent changes and some races were reclassified as full species. A change in the ownership of the publisher halfway through the project meant there was a lowering of standards in the amount of information and the number of photos provided in the later volumes. The 'new' publisher assessed that the project was running at a severe loss but agreed to complete the job if only in a more cost effective manner.

None of the above is intended to lower the value of the books or to demean the efforts of anyone involved.
The facts are that projects like this one are extremely expensive and labour
intensive.
There was never going to be any overall profit in it for the publishers and, unfortunately, these days publishers cannot afford to be altruistic if they hope to remain in business for any length of time. And, just as is the stated case for HANZAB, I doubt that any process was ever planned or instigated to provide a supplement or cyber equivalent correcting mistakes, etc.

Cheers

Bob Inglis
Sandstone Point
Qld