birding-aus

A 'FURY' OF WRENS

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: A 'FURY' OF WRENS
From: "Val Curtis" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 09:46:36 +1100
Since early November I've been watching the local group or Superb Blue Fairy Wrens around my house and patio. There have been, consistently, three fully coloured males and one female with no sign of breeding and there has been no sign of aggression between the males.

Yesterday two additional coloured males appeared and there was a furious fight right outside my kitchen window. Like five little blue tornados they wrestled and fought, with occasional pauses to reorganize, until victory was declared by the resident three. The intruders didn't give in easily but hung around after the main battle, hiding in dense shrubs and then leaping into the foray again and again until they eventually took off. The female took it all very calmly, watching from the sidelines and occasionally resuming her search for food.

It was a facinating scene not to be forgotten in a hurry.

Val

Gembrook, Victoria