birding-aus

RFI Binocular Repair

Subject: RFI Binocular Repair
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 12:05:55 +1100

I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen before. I bought a pair
of Nikon 10x50 binos 8 months ago. They are still under (limited) warranty.
I dont recall ever having dropped them, but they have fallen off the front
seat of my car once or twice within their (soft) case. Some weeks ago I
noticed I couldnt focus them. A day later they were fine again.
It kept happening off and on and I found out If I gave them a sharp (soft)
tapwith my finger the lenses would re-align.

Then yesterday I tried the tap again and the binos came apart in my hand!
Luckily I could clip it back on quickly. I have spoken to Maxwell Optics
who fix Nikon binos and they would like me to send it in for a look.
Apparently it will cost $44 just for the quote. I have a feeling the repair
will cost quite a bit, maybe even more than the original $290 I paid to
purchase them.

I can of course go back to the store where I bought it and see what they
say, although they will most likely just send it in to be serviced by the
same company and add an extra fee.

Does anyone have any alternative ideas?

Cheers

Marnix Zwankhuizen
Gungahlin  ACT

IMPORTANT:
This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain
confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
notify us immediately by telephone on (02) 6271 4777 and delete all copies of
this transmission together with any attachments.