birding-aus

NSW - A good afternoon sea watch from Maroubra, Sydney (27th Jan 07)

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: NSW - A good afternoon sea watch from Maroubra, Sydney (27th Jan 07)
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 10:36:20 +1100
Yesterday afternoon (approx. 15:00 to 19:30 on 27/1/07), David Mitford
and I enjoyed a good sea watch from Magic Pr, Maroubra (approx. 10km
south of Sydney CBD). Winds were gusty southerlies up to about 30 knots
for that afternoon.

The main highlight was 2 LITTLE SHEARWATERS and 4 WANDERING ALBATROSSES.
This is the second time this month and at least the 3rd time for David
we have seen Wandering Albatrosses in January from Maroubra. I had all
the Wanderers in the first hour of our sea watch (the first three seen
one after the other heading north within a few minutes). The Little
Shearwaters gave good views and one was close to a Fluttering Shearwater
aiding good comparison.

Also of interest was a Sooty Shearwater, a few Long-tailed Jaegers and a
Common Tern (the later I probably only seen once out at sea from
Maroubra, though quite common in Botany Bay not too far south).

Our list of seabirds and numbers seen in brackets for the afternoon
includes the following:

Fairy Penguin (heard)
Wandering Albatross (4)
Wedge-tailed Shearwater (250 plus)