birding-aus

Little Wattlebirds

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Little Wattlebirds
From: "Jan England " <>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:53:29 +1000
This is a follow-up to Robyn's discussion about the Little Wattlebirds around
her home in Maroochydore.

Here in Palmwoods over the last 3 years, I have seen very few Wattlebirds prior
to this summer.  However, in August 2006, they turned up in earnest.  Although
there were usually only a pair, they were here all day every day and gave our
regular Brown and Lewin's Honeyeaters a hard time chasing them away whenever
they could.  They really ruled the garden and you always knew when they were
there with their vibrant calls throughout the area.  They took over the
birdbath each afternoon issuing more loud calls as first the male and then the
female came to bathe.  Then she would sit and give little chuckles, very
different to the usual calls they emitted during the day.  They were usually
attracted to a Grevillea Firesprite which was flowering prolificly and they
remained in my garden until it finished flowering towards the end of November.
Then they disappeared and were not seen again in December and so far I've only
seen them once this month(January).

Here in our Village we have noticed a big drop in the number of birds since the
severe hailstorm we had in November particularly in Brown Honeyeaters which
were always the most dominant bird previously.  Thankfully they seem to have
been returning in January.  We have had only 65 mls of rain this month compared
to 240 mls last year to this date but I realise this is more than some other
areas have had.

Here's hoping we get some good storms soon.

Jan