birding-aus

Myna/ Miner Wars

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Myna/ Miner Wars
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:59:16 +1100
Hello all,

I happened to be at home during my lunchbreak today and was treated to a bit of a spectacle on the back lawn. Until the last 12 months or so the Indian Myna was a bird that we never saw in our 3/4 acre well vegetated block on the ridge above Excelsior Pde, Toronto (central NSW). Part of the block is a heavily planted garden, most of the rest is natural bushland. Noisy Miners have been common ever since I can remember and have been the cause of the low abundance of small passerines that we get regardless of the natural bush. There were Mynas not far away mind you, but the combination of bush and Miners seemed to keep them at bay.

However, since the block next door has been cleared and partially developed (the developer went bankrupt after the clearing took place) the writing has been on the wall with Mynas getting closer and closer. When I left for work this morning there were 4 Mynas loitering with intent around the garbage bins on the roadside.

As I sat having my lunch at midday, 4 Indian Mynas flew in and landed on the back lawn. This was the first time I've seen them within the property boundaries. Within seconds, a riotous crowd of Australian birds gathered to express their anger at the newcomers. There was one butcherbird, 2 magpie-larks and 15 Noisy Miners. They squawked and divebombed the Mynas for about 5 minutes with only the slightest reaction from the Indian immigrants. Eventually, one of the magpie-larks landed within about 30cm of one of the Mynas and gave it a close-range blast of magpie-lark. The Myna responded by flying straight into it. There was no question over who won. Within the next minute the Australians all moved off realising that they were wasting their time.

I then made a token effort of chasing the Mynas out of the yard but the writing is on the wall. I think its time I left suburbia.

No cheers,

Mick

PS. Could someone with Google Earth email me a link to the Werribee Sewage Treatment Works? I'm going to be passing through Melbourne a bit in the next month or two and am looking into some of the places I've never been to. Just curious about where it is.

--
Michael Todd Wildlifing Images & Sounds of Nature
Latest Additions: Squirrel Glider, Tetratheca juncea, Pectoral Sandpiper