birding-aus

(was pocketPCs)iPods for Bird Calls - portable speakers & audio editing

To: Paul Taylor <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: (was pocketPCs)iPods for Bird Calls - portable speakers & audio editing software
From: Robert Gosford <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 12:15:02 +0930
Dear Paul/all,

Just a quick query that I didn't address in my "procedure" - Paul wrote that "This means that the lossy encoding to MP3 (or AAC if using an iPod) is only done once"- is "AAC" a proprietary Apple system and if so how do I save from Audacity to it?

I've already used CDex to rip to MP3 (good) and Audacity to edit (equally good so far ... I'm just doing an export on one file and wondered about the AAC format - I can save to MP3 (not suitable for iPods?), Ogg Vorbis ???) or WAV (which my files are already).

Cheers and thanks (in advance and post) for the tech advice from everyone - hope I can be of help to those less tech savvy than me (a very small pool it seems)

Bob Gosford

Paul Taylor wrote:

Bruce Cox wrote:

The main problem is that the bird CDs (and in most cases music CDs) are

> .CDA format which both "Audacity" and "Dexter" will not open, From memory

"Audacity" will open .WAV, .AIFF (uncompressed Mac format), .MP3 and Ogg
Vorbis. You need to get to one of these to audit in "Audacity", I use
"Windows Media Player" to compress to .MP3 before editing.

The problem with editing the compressed MP3 files is that more information
is lost when the edited version is re-encoded into MP3.

A better approach is to "rip" the CD to an uncompressed format (typically
WAV under Windows), edit that file, then encode to MP3.  This means that
the lossy encoding to MP3 (or AAC if using an iPod) is only done once.

I use CDex (http://cdexos.sourceforge.net) to rip CDs; it's another free,
open source program like Audacity (which I agree is excellent).