birding-aus

Attracting birds with calls, update.

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Attracting birds with calls, update.
From: "Robert Inglis" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:57:40 +1000
A few notes on the responses to my "Attracting bird with calls" posting:

Nevil: I missed that one. Good point. And, as I have vowed not to go to sea again, I would like to see the practice stopped.

Ricki: Since I had the operation on my lip a few years ago to remove a dysplastic spot I haven't been able to whistle or pish properly so I think that practice should be banned as well.

Bob G.: I understand what you are saying and I expect you to now only use your recordings for that purpose.

Mike S.: I hardly think that copying a set of bird calls onto a more convenient medium just so that it is easier to call birds in could be call 'fair' and 'for the purposes of study or research'.

Steve C.: ETHICS! Don't get me started!

Laurie: The subject of my posting was whether there is a difference between playing recordings or personally imitating the call or pishing. Possible predation as a result of any of these activities was included to evoke emotion in the reader.

Carl C.: I prefer to go birding by myself because I am a common garden-type
misanthrope.

Now........... did I say what MY personal feelings are on this topic?

No, I didn't.

And if anyone wants to find out what I do when I go birding, then, they will
have to go with me.
But see above.

Cheers

Bob Inglis