birding-aus

Attracting birds with calls

To: Ricki Coughlan <>
Subject: Attracting birds with calls
From: Carl Clifford <>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:47:02 +1100
This is the main reason I generally prefer to Bird by myself. The last time I went birding with a group (from a reputable birding organisation, I thought), the party came across a Button-quail which darted into some cover. Some of the more enlightened members of the party decided to dash into the scrub and try and flush the poor bird out. Result, no more views of the bird and one terrified Button- quail. That behaviour certainly terminated my interest in group birding. I have found I get much better results sitting quietly and wearing a poncho made of AusCam scrim.

I think the only real place for play-back is in research, then only if it is not over used. I participated in surveys for Black-eared Miner on "Scotia" late last year using play-back, but when you are looking for about 15 birds in 60,000 Ha. of Mallee, perhaps using a bit of play-back could be forgiven.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford