birding-aus

Birdline Victoria

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 00:36:39 +1100
Hi all,

Following on from Murray Lord and Kurtis Lindsay message about NSW Birdline, I
would also like to remind all those who have made any interesting or unusual
bird sightings to inform Birdline Victoria. To reiterate, bird sightings are
valuable way of knowing where birds frequent, what they are doing, and when
they are at certain locations. It is also a good way of determining patterns of
movement.

The recent sightings of Common Koel in Victoria are a good example of this.
These sightings suggests that we may be looking at the movements of a handful
of birds around Victoria. For example, a Koel was recently seen in East
Brunswick and then a few days later in the Melbourne Botanical Gardens. Prior
to this Koel had been recorded at several sites in country Victoria including
Bendigo, Bruthen, Boisdale and Marlo. Due to their amazing call Koel are fairly
hard to miss. One could speculate that the Melbourne bird is one of these
previously recorded country birds. My money is on Bendigo!

To access Birdline Victoria visit the Birds Australia - Victoria web site at
http://www.babblersnest.com or go to the excellent Eremaea web site at
http://www.eremaea.com

Cheers,

Tim Dolby