birding-aus

RE: Painted Snipes / Hervey Bay

To: <>
Subject: RE: Painted Snipes / Hervey Bay
From: "Lee & Margi" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 20:54:55 +1000
Hi all,

Had a fantastic day at a private property in Hervey Bay on Sunday, the
property has large open fields and a chain of large lagoons and is a great
location for waders and various water birds.

I managed to pick up 3 new birds at the lagoons including Spotless Crake,
Baillons Crake and Painted Snipe (3 adults and a Juv).  The Snipe were a
great surprise and it was while we were looking for one that flew into the
reeds that the Baillons walked into view.

Other highlights included;

Black-necked Stork,

A couple of Brolgas decided to land in front of us,

Several Lathams Snipe,

Whiskered Terns,

Red-necked Avocets,

A lone Wood Sandpiper,

Glossy Ibis,

Grey & Chestnut Teal,

A Whistling Kite had a go at a Pelican circling above us,

Two Wedge-tailed Eagles

4 different Egrets (Cattle, Little, Intermediate and Great)

After a morning at the lagoons we headed up to a local bird hide to do some
wader watching, plenty of Godwits, Pied Oystercatchers, Little Terns, Golden
Plovers and some Curlew Sandpipers to name a few.

All up I got 72 species for the day with 3 new ones for the list.

If anyone wants a full list, let me know (off list) and I'll email one
through.

Cheers & Happy Birding!

Lee

Hervey Bay - QLD