birding-aus

Little Tern fencing, Sydney

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Little Tern fencing, Sydney
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 13:18:59 +1100
Hi All
Had a great time watching the Little Terns feeding their chicks at Penrhyn Rd, Banksmeadow/Port Botany on Friday afternoon.
Amazing seeing a little fluffy ball gulp down a fish in one go!!
NPWS has indeed erected fencing but unfortunately it is pretty inadequate. It is only on one side of the spit and ends well short of 3 nests. Well meaning people & dogs are walking to the end of the fence and then walking across the sand spit right through the colony. While i was there i was able to educate a couple of dog walkers and show them where the nests were and help them to understand the somewhat confusing fencing. One person thought the fence was to stop people going into the bush on the other side of the Terns! Graham Buchan was down there as well and was hoping to talk to NPWS to get the fence extended into more of an enclosure rather than one line. I know we all get frustrated by people and dogs for disturbing the birds but can i urge everyone to be patient and encouraging when we speak to people who walk through the nesting area (here and wherever this occurs). Let's face it people all enjoy the outdoors in different ways and just because they don't share our concern doesn't mean that they are all rude idiots.
Let's educate and encourage rather than reprimand and judge.

Cheers
Dave Stowe

PS - missed the Fairy Tern unfortunately but it was blowing a gale and i wasn't able to stay too long. Graham had seen it in the morning.