birding-aus

Freezing dead birds for museum use

To: "" <>
Subject: Freezing dead birds for museum use
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 17:07:58 +1100
Dear all

Walter Boles of Australian Museum Sydney, sent me this bit of info which could be useful for some - someone did ask me about this and I forget whom, so here it is

In answer to your question (re: how long can one store a dead frozen bird) it
is possible to keep birds frozen and useful for several years.  We have
successively skinned bodies that have been frozen for ten years, but this is
not ideal and will very between species.  The most important bit is that the
bag is securely sealed.  Otherwise, the body will be slowly freeze dried.

And a Happy Christmas to you all.