birding-aus

Australian bird call resource

To: Birding-Aus aus <>
Subject: Australian bird call resource
From: Scot Mcphee <>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 08:01:20 +1000
Hello from a first time poster to this list.

I'm wondering if there are any resources on the net, or to be found in the library or bookshop, that help with identifying bird calls? I mean in the sense like an audio Simpson&Day, a 'what bird call is that?'.

I'm am a fairly casual bird watcher living in Brisbane, not really a 'twitcher' per se, and while I know most of the common Australian species calls (that you hear in NSW or south-east Qld), and some others I've learnt from observation. However this morning at dawn while lying in bed I heard two unmistakably new calls I'd never heard before (one was a close two-note sort of call, not melodious like a magpie or butcherbird but more like a filtered burst of white noise and nothing like the regular birds in the area that might make a call like this (olive backed orioles, blue face honey eaters, black faced cuckoo shrikes, noisy miners, currawongs). Being a lazy birder as per the entries on the topic on Trevor's bird blog, I didn't rush out of bed to see if I could spot aforementioned bird(s). I have not heard the call since.

I searched on the net but found there are only some impoverished sites with Northern hemisphere bird calls. So hopefully someone knows either a hidden resource, or a commercial resource that I can buy or borrow.

kind regards
scot mcphee

--
Autonomous Organisation