birding-aus

Christmas Observations from Turramurra

To: <>
Subject: Christmas Observations from Turramurra
From: "Tom and Mandy Wilson" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2006 17:21:58 +1100
Hi all & Seasons Greetings
observations from my deck in Turramurra (N Sydney) this afternoon whilst
enjoying a cup of tea and a mince pie - first over at 4pm was a Black Kite -
this sounds out of place for Sydney, but it was a lightly built raptor,
pretty much a uniform pale brown colour with no noticeable patterns or paler
marks on the underwing and had a long, straight sided and deeply forked
tail, so I'd struggle to make it anything else.

This was followed at 4:20pm by a large (100+) flock of White Throated
needletails - they came up from the E/NE and disappeared to the W/SW, so
were moving into or slightly across the W/NW the breeze.  Birds at all
levels - including rooftop height when one could hear them ripping through
the air.  No Fork Taileds in with them, although a couple of tree martins
caused a bit of excitement when I first spotted smaller birds in with the
WTNTs.

Had our picnic lunch out at West Head in Ku-Ring-Gai NP today - there was
not much about.  The Koolewong Track opposite the Resolute Picnic area has
been re-opened, but our walk down to the lookout revealed neither Glossy
Blacks nor signs of recent visits (ie no chewed Casuarina nuts which I have
found often on that track before).

Cheers
Tom Wilson