birding-aus

Brisbane and Lamington birding

Subject: Brisbane and Lamington birding
From: "Frank Rheindt" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:15:37 +0100
Dear all,

I have been trying to assemble a bit of up-to-date info for a potential long-weekend birding trip to Brisbane/Lamington/Cooloola over Xmas. I have searched through the archives, but didn?t find answers to all my questions. Therefore I would be very grateful if a kind soul could share recent information on stake-outs in this area. Particularly, I am interested in the following questions:

1.) Are the following Thomas & Thomas sites (or Nigel Wheatley sites) still relevant for their target species? If not, is there any alternative recent detailed stake-out information on these species?
-       Mt Merino Loop (O?Reilly?s) for Scrubbird
-       Slaughter Falls (Mount Coot-tha) for White-throated Nightjar
-       Lake Samsonvale for Red-backed Buttonquail
-       Bellbird Grove for Painted Buttonquail
-       Duck Creek Road (O?Reilly?s) for Black-breasted Buttonquail
-       Girraween NP for Plum-headed Finch

2.) Where can Grass Owls be reliably found? I seem to remember hearing about local Brisbane people that can show them to visitors? Is that true?

3.) After all this talk about the undescribed fig-parrot, where have all the latest sightings of good old Coxen?s Fig-Parrot been? Any spot worth trying? (I realize that this is a long shot?)

4.)     Any reliable stake-out for Red Goshawk, Lewin?s Rail and Painted Snipe?

I would greatly appreciate any input on these questions or any general tips (preferably off-list). Thank you very much in advance.

Happy birding
Frank