birding-aus

RFI - Thursday Island

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: RFI - Thursday Island
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 21:57:49 +1100
I spent an afternoon there in November 2003 on a BOCA trip with Peregrine
Bird Tours.  From memory (with consultation to Google Maps) we walked
around the eastern side of the island along Sadies Beach Access Road and
Waiben Esplanade (or a walking track running parallel to them) to check
out the reservoir on the other side of the island, returning via Lobans
Road and Hastings Street through the middle of the island.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-10.579,142.22&spn=0.01,0.01&q=-10.579,142.22

Not far from the harbour in a park, probably off Douglas Street, we found
to our surprise a Eurasian Tree Sparrow; it was most likely a ship-assisted
arrival from Asia.  The reservoir didn't really turn up anything out of the
ordinary: Little Black Cormorant, Great, Intermediate and Little Egrets,
Black-necked Stork, Pacific Black Duck, Grey Teal, Whistling Kite,
Brown Goshawk.  With more time, exploring the western end of the island
may be worthwhile.

Earlier in the day on Horn Island, birds seen (some of which were also on
Thursday I.) were Darter, Osprey, Figbird, White-faced Heron, White Ibis,
Radjah Shelduck, Masked Lapwing, Red-capped Plover, Whimbrel, Common and
Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, Common Greenshank, Bar-tailed Godwit, Red-necked
Stint, Peaceful and Bar-shouldered Doves, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo,
Rainbow Lorikeet, Blue-winged Kookaburra, Varied Triller, Dusky Honeyeater,
Yellow-bellied Sunbird, House Sparrow and Chestnut-breasted Mannikin.
Some Australian Army Black Hawk helicopters departing the island were also
an exciting surprise, and added to the bus tour of the island and its WWII
history.