birding-aus

Powerful's again, Lapstone

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Powerful's again, Lapstone
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:28:00 +1100
Wow!

I was just sitting on the balcony listening to the cricket when our
Powerful Owl returned. It landed with an audible thump on the most
obvious perch in the Iron Bark that grows just off the balcony. It was
mostly silhouetted against the sky but instantly recognisable with
that enormous beak and quirky head movements. To add spice to the
occasion we'd just heard the resident Brushtails come out of their
roof next door and could hear them walking along the ground then up
the tree the owl was in! They ended up no more than 5m away and got
away with it. The owl flew off before anything more interesting
happened.

That means that now in the Iron Bark we've seen Powerful, Boobook,
Tawny Frogmouth, Owlet Nightjar and Brown Goshawk. And all views have
been exceptional. It's a good old tree.

Evan

--
Evan Beaver