birding-aus

Re: Pick the Chicks

To: "Lynda Hyde" <>
Subject: Re: Pick the Chicks
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 12:54:24 +1100
Hi Lynda and Peter,

These photos were taken at the You Yangs near Geelong in Southern
Victoria.  White-winged Trillers aren't very common in the Southern
Victoria, but we get the occassional summer migrant here and there.  As
for Varied Triller, it would be a first for Victoria i've been told...so
highly unlikely to be that species.  And your right about Jacky Winter's
being more grey...I'm pretty convinced now that they are White-winged
Triller chicks

Cheers,

Peter

"Lynda Hyde" <>
08/12/2006 12:24 AM

<>
cc

Subject
RE: [Birding-Aus] Re: Pick the Chicks

Hi Peter,

(disclaimer; I am not a pedant, I enjoy bird watching.)
I still think it's a Varied Triller. (But I wasn't there)
Your photo of the mother shows the beginnings of a bar of white on the
upper
part of the wing. Jacky Winters have the white running down the body
The barring on the neck and breast are more consistent with a VT than a
JW,
who are
generally shades of grey all over.

Was there any tail waggling, a dead give away for J W

Another case of the 'thrill of the chase' without having to leave home.
It makes you really think what it is you thought you saw out there in the
field!

Thanks for your beautiful photos, they really are breathtaking!

Cheers
Lynda

Lynda Hyde
A Bird in the Hand