birding-aus

Roy Starling

Subject: Roy Starling
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:59:13 +1100
According to British publications, the Rosy Starling is a species given to irruptions into regions well outside its normal range in Eastern Europe and Northern Asia, but it has not established itself as an immigrant in Western Europe. The bird in the photos is just a migrant which has overshot. I really don't think we need to worry about it settling in Australia. I was very grateful to see the photos - the shaggy head, pied pattern and the black-and-white beak are most distinctive, though it didn't look very pink. Collins FG to Western Europe and the Middle East says its natural habitat is "dry grass steppe, where it follows locust swarms." Anthea Fleming