birding-aus

Little Penguin Nests being vandalised in Manly

Subject: Little Penguin Nests being vandalised in Manly
From: "inger vandyke" <>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 03:05:57 +0000

  I'm not sure which legislation governs the level of fines for
  vandalism against our wildlife.  I have attempted, in the past, to
  find out the outcomes of these cases.  It appears that the events seem
  to be newsworthy but not the final outcome so I wonder sometimes if
  anyone does get fined officially for these acts?

  Recently I researched the shooting of the fur seals on Kanowna
  Island.  I searched both local and state records to find out what
  happened to the perpetrators and found nothing.  Apparently they were
  going to be charged on November 3 but nothing was ever said.

  It's a similar story with illegal toothfishing in the Southern Ocean
  and the recent story with the albatross.  You only ever seem to hear
  stories of New Zealand acting upon these issues.

  What goes on here?

  Cheers

  Inger