birding-aus

Lantana

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Lantana
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:50:02 +1100
Some council's appear to be more enlightened than the one we have here in
Penrith, NSW. Over the past few years there has been an attempt to plant
native vegetation along the banks of the Nepean. They removed all of the
Lantana and Weeping Willows and left small heaps of sapling branches to act
as temporary shelter for the smaller birds. Unfortunately, this has not been
very satisfactory. Much of the new vegetation they planted was Casuarina
which provides no ground cover, and there certainly has been a huge decrease
in small birds.

Now there are a few Superb Fairy-wrens, Red-browed Finches plus Goldfinches
in the winter. There used to be flocks of Yellow-rumped Thornbills,
Silvereyes and a lot of small Honeyeaters but I have not seen a single
Scarlet Honeyeater or Eastern Spinebill there this year.

Regards, Mike Simpson
Penrith, NSW, Australia
http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbirds