birding-aus

Magpies and Currawongs Sunning Together

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Magpies and Currawongs Sunning Together
From: Jack Shapiro <>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 09:15:38 +1100
Recently, the topic of "Sunning Magpies" has been discussed in response to Richard Nowotny’s report of magpies sunning behaviour.

I, too, have observed this behaviour in the back yard, where magpies
cleared up a small area of bark so they could lie flat on the ground.

Additional information I want to add here is an unexpected twist in
this behaviour.  Occasionally, I have seen a male magpie,  and a Pied
Currawong  sunning practically next to each other.  Last year when
there were many more young birds around there were many such
inter-species sunnings going on.  Not only that, but I have noticed
that on other occasions young magpies and young currawongs “wrestled” each other, as well as members of their own species

I find these forms of behaviour quite unexpected since noting that all the times that I have observed these birds, adult magpies have always
chased  all currawongs away from their territory in a very vigorous
manner.

Jack Shapiro ==============================www.birding-aus.org